Welcome to our Website
THE INCORPORATION OF TAILORS OF RUTHERGLEN
The Incorporation of Tailors of Rutherglen was established by a Charter and Seal of Office granted by the Provost, Baillies and Council of Rutherglen on 1st December 1657. The Incorporation is a Scottish registered charity (Registration Number SCO 07663) and is regulated by rules and regulations enacted 21st September 1909 as altered and amended from time to time. The present constitution was approved by OSCR in November 2007.
Rutherglen is situated in South Lanarkshire, near Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom.
In the 17th Century and beyond the Tailors along with the Incorporations of the Masons & Wrights, the Smiths and the Weavers regulated their respective trades within the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen. The main purpose of the Incorporation was to ensure that the trade of tailoring was carried on only by qualified craftsmen. Regulation of the craft included making orders relating to working hours, wages and working conditions, the provision of a system for time served masters to pass on their skills to apprentices and the maintenance of high standards of craftsmanship.
In addition, the Incorporations used entry money from new members and other income to grant financial assistance to members and widows, children and dependants of deceased members in difficult financial circumstances.
Today, the Incorporation of Tailors is the only surviving craft in the former Royal Burgh. Membership of the Incorporation is not confined to tailors and it is no longer required to regulate the trade of tailoring. However, it maintains its role in providing financial assistance, derived from entry money from new members and the Incorporation’s investments, to members and widows of members through grants and gifts and also supports local charities through annual donations.
The Incorporation also has a social aspect and holds an Annual Dinner each December and a bowling and golf competition for its members annually during the summer months.